Saturday, January 26, 2008

Witness to Wonder


WOW!
I wanted to share my latest experience as a nursing student. My instructor called the night before my clinical in the emergency room and asked if I would change to operating room clinical because another student was sick. I agreed because I'll get to be in the ER in a few weeks. As I pondered this change, I considered what would be the ultimate opportunity. An open heart surgery was at the top of my wish list but I didn't hold my breath. I got to the hospital, got into scrubs, shoe covers, hair cover, mask and eye protection. The nurse I was directed to said it wasn't a very good day to be there because there weren't many interesting surgeries going on. She said maybe she would ask if I could get into the heart room (my heart skipped a beat). I told her that would be awesome! In the mean time, I was sent to an operating room where they were prepping for an ulnar nerve transposition (to relieve tennis elbow pain). As I observed with interest, time ticked by. Then, someone opened the door and called my name "You're in".

I got to witness two open heart, bypass surgeries. I was in the OR right at the head of the patient beside the anesthesiologist (he was very kind to answer my carefully chosen questions). The cardiac surgeon was only a couple of feet away. I was able to peer into the open chest, watch with amazement as the heart beat and the lungs inflated and deflated. 4 or more nurses busily surrounded the patient while the surgeon, physician's assistant, anesthesiologist and others did their job. I wish I could provide more detail but I am constrained by HIPAA (HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT OF 1996) protection of patient confidentiality. I later learned how very rare it is that a student would have such an opportunity. I am still in awe of the amazing body and its ability to recover from the trauma of open heart surgery. This creation of the Lord is truly amazing! I'm still in awe. I have included some pictures and video links in this post of open heart surgery but they are from various web sources, not the actual surgeries I witnessed.

1 comment:

Matt S. said...

What a neat-O opportunity! I'm assuming that you didn't even pass out?! :-)