Saturday, October 18, 2008

Columbia River Swim


Well, the river was calling this morning. I missed a day of exercise this week so I wanted to get out and raise the heart rate to release some endorphins. Its sure nice to have Saturdays available for activities and other things. I called my swimming buddy Scott and he was raring to go! He had almost written the swimming season off, he was hesitant to call me but was ecstatic to hear my phone call with a swimming invitation. So, we loaded up the inner tubes and drove the 3 blocks to the river. We had several double takes as people saw us in swim suits with our floaties. A couple people asked if we were crazy, did we know it was October!? We got in and the current was swift with some extra debris on the surface. As I watched the shoreline to gauge our upstream progress, it didn't look like we were moving at all. We've had good workouts before without going upstream at all and I thought this would be one of those days. So, I just buckled down and swam and soon realized some progress. I was surprised when we actually made it up to the first dock. Then, we turned around and headed back. Time in the water was about half an hour. River water temperature 54.4 degrees. You can actually check the real time water temp by clicking here then clicking on "Leslie Groves" dot on map.

2 comments:

Matt S. said...

Crazee-mawn!! Jis'Crazee! (but fun!)

Unknown said...

Cool Paul - I'm glad you are safe and sound - and the car thing looked so neat - my computer wouldn't let me watch the whole thing- even tho I just got an up grade of virtual memory I guess it wasn't the right kind of memory to watch the whole car thing. Anyway, it was very interesting what we were ablt to see and I imagine how much the boys (big and little!) enjoyed it! Love, Mom